Thursday, May 19, 2011

Captain America, The First Avenger

I checked out the trailer via web link on a whim. With my love for the works of Heinlein, a blatant nationalist comic book hero fighting Nazis seemed to have potential. I had also been extremely entertained by Fast Five as an action movie a week or two ago. So yeah, I figured I'd check the trailer.


Hollywood has just found the perfect pulp mixture to feed the masses in the comic book. I know several strange die-hard comic book fans who will worship these movies, with no regard for actual content. The trailer left me feeling that this was just an excuse for a guy to magically get muscles and run around in a suit. If I was in middle school, I'd call that sort of movie gay. But since I'm not (gay/in middle school) I didn't bother to comment aloud on what I was watching.

In fact, if the trailer had remained as boring as it started, I wouldn't be writing. Unfortunately,  it went from boring to bad in a single final scene. Picture the depths of a WW2 secret military research base, or the Stargate missile silo. Medium sized lab, filled with scientists, our protagonist and the love interest. Our protagonist is holding a newly minted super-shield and he asks the (ithinkshesugly/10) chick if its "bullet proof". She proceeds to responds with what I guess was meant to be a spunky coyness "Let's find out!", and SHOOTS SOME ROUNDS. They bounce of the shield and the protagonist is unharmed.

In real life, I wouldn't be worried about the guy behind the shield. I'd be worried about ricochet's taking out an innocent scientist. NO person in their right mind would shoot towards a metal shield in a room filled with people. This isn't about a superhero jumping into the middle of a war zone and not getting a scratch, its about straight up mental retardation on the part of the writers.

That one scene really irked me. Especially as a gun owner. But now that I've invested that anger towards a positive (filling up this blog), I'm going to return to readying some investment options. Peace.




On the left is a shameless plug for one of Heinlein's greatest works on polyandrous feelings and social politics. Grabbed by people on both side of the isle for different things, from libertarian individualism, explorations of free love, to a simple fascination with aliens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment, or do you want to dissent in silence?